Board member files proposal on funding for maintenance of dikes-A A +A
Sunday, September 16, 2012
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO - Second District Board Member Salvador Dimson Jr. has a filed a proposal before the Sangguniang Panlalawigan (Provincial Board) calling for the allocation of funds or a budget for the maintenance of vital dikes around Pampanga.
Dimson, in particular, cited the need to maintain the Megadike, transverse dike and other essential protective structures against floods after the San Fernando-Sto. Tomas-Minalin Tail Dike breached, allegedly because of neglect and lack of funds for maintenance.
“One of the major problems we identified is the lack of funds for the maintenance of our dikes in the province. The funds from the national government might take a long time so it would be us at the provincial government who must take responsibility for this to avoid another massive calamity,” he said.
Dimson told Sun.Star Pampanga that his request -- seconded his colleagues at the august body during last week’s hearing -- has been forwarded to the Committee on Appropriations headed by Senior Board Member Crisostomo Garbo, which will take it up during the PB’s regular session on Tuesday at Capitol.
Garbo’s initial reaction was “favorable” as he said: “That proposal will now be on a joint sponsorship between the committees on appropriation and public works, together with the committee on environment and natural resources. Our Governor Lilia Pineda has a similar proposal forwarded to the board at something around P35 million which we will include in the annual budget of the province.”
“Important here is that the governor wants to have the national government sees that we have funds and the capability to maintain dikes. Tayo na muna daw ang responsible until funds from concerned national agencies come,” said Garbo.
Published in the Sun.Star Pampanga newspaper on September 16, 2012.