Homeowner to file suit vs Sta. Lucia Realty-A A +A
Wednesday, March 6, 2013
MEXICO -- A homeowner at Beverly Place here is set to file a P25-million suit against subdivision’s developer Sta. Lucia Realty Development Corporation for lapses in the Doctrine of Premises Liability Rule.
Beverly Place Homeowners Association legal counsel Edgardo Era over the weekend said the non-compliance of the developer on its obligations, particularly in securing the village with such essentials as the perimeter fence, has led to a series of robberies and killings of its residents.
Last year, a security guard and the brother-in-law of a British national residing in Beverly Place were killed by still unidentified suspects.
Five suspected robbers wearing bonnets robbed the home of Roy Thompson where the lone unnamed security guard at Phase 8 of the village was shot dead, along with the brother of Thompson’s Filipina wife. An estimated P100,000 worth of jewelry, cellular phones and cash were taken by the suspects.
In a meeting with the homeowners at the Beverly Place Clubhouse Sunday morning, Era said that Sta. Lucia Realty Development Corporation “continuously fails to protect the lives and properties of homeowners” as it signified in its contract with them, allegedly in violation of the Doctrine of Premises Liability Rule.
“The incident is already the fifth of its kind that transpired here in Beverly Place. During our investigation of the cases, we have discovered the lapses of the developer and Sta. Lucia Realty never even participated in the investigation conducted by authorities,” said Era, adding “the developer has done little to address the concerns of the residents on security, lighting and the much needed perimeter fence.”
Beverly Place Homeowners Association president Engr. Alan David told Sun.Star Pampanga that they are now awaiting the decision of the Housing Land Use and Regulatory Board, which has also been pursuing to get the response of Sta. Lucia on the case elevated to them by the homeowners.
“This is what we have been telling Sta. Lucia Realty all along. The Thompson robbery and the killing of two people is already the fifth case, after two frustrated homicides and the serious physical injury of a 73-year-old whose home was similarly burglarized,” David said.
“The developer has promised to complete the perimeter fence but nothing has happened. They also promised to beef up security by augmenting the guards watching over the 700-hectare village but it has done very little about these that homeowners here are constantly living in fear. And because of their non-compliance, the homeowners are compelled to sue and ask authorities to revoke or suspend its license,” said David.
Published in the Sun.Star Pampanga newspaper on March 06, 2013.