San Fernando roads still impassable-A A +A
Wednesday, August 21, 2013
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO -- Like in most parts of the province affected by tropical storm "Maring" and the southwest monsoon, many major roads in this city remain impassable to light vehicles as floodwaters are slow to recede.
The still considerably deep floodwaters, compounded by torrential rains, have also sent thousands of Fernandinos to various evacuation centers for safety.
From midmorning up to past 12 p.m. Wednesday, Sun.Star Pampanga joined members of the San Fernando Rescue Unit and former City Administrator Ferdinand Caylao in rounds of the city to check on the situation, as hundreds simply braved the floods on foot and some vehicles took the risks to get to their destinations.
Not passable to light vehicles is the MacArthur Highway portion in Barangay Juliana with some two feet of floodwater; the service road to the old public wet market in Barangay Sta. Teresita Ponduan with knee-deep water; Lazatin Boulevard, Heroes Hall portion up to the Capitol Boulevard junction with about two feet floodwater; and Barangay Lourdes service roads from the PLDT section with one foot to as high as waist-deep waters.
The vital Jose Abad Santos Avenue in Barangay Dolores remained passable to all types of vehicles. Motorists were advised by officials to take precautions when traversing flooded roads.
Meanwhile, the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office disclosed that thousands of Fernandinos remain in evacuation centers here, and have not been allowed to return to their homes with rain expected to last until Thursday.
In its 12 p.m. situational report, the CDRRMO said 1,521 families or 6,563 individuals from 15 barangays--Sto. Niño, San Juan, San Agustin, Del Pilar, Sta. Teresita, Sta. Lucia, San Pedro Cutud, San Felipe, Magliman, San Jose, San Nicolas, Lourdes, Dolores, Juliana and San Isidro--were affected by one foot to four feet deep floodwaters.
Of this number, 825 families are housed at Heroes Hall and various elementary schools, while some 4,120 families are being served outside of the evacuation centers.
Barangay Lourdes, with waist to chest deep waters has the biggest number of families affected (514 or 1,779 individuals), followed by last year's hardest hit Barangay San Pedro Cutud (483 or 2,629 individuals).
Meanwhile, Guagua town has been placed under a state of calamity after most of its barangays have been flooded due to incessant rains brought by the southeast monsoon.
Second District Board Member Tonton Torres said 80 percent of the town is now affected by floodwater.
Most of the affected families here have now been moved to evacuation centers in each barangay as of press time.
Torres said the Municipal Government has initiated sandbagging operations in Barangay San Jose, Dalisdis, Ascomo and Maquiapo among others to prevent floodwater from further inundating residences here. Guagua is a catch basin that receives water coming from Porac and Sta. Rita towns.
Mayor Dante Torres has been leading the relief and rescue operations in the town, as the Municipal Government is still monitoring vital waterways here for possible rise of floodwater.
Some 377 families or 1,541 individuals are now in evacuation canters situated in schools, chapels and churches.
Published in the Sun.Star Pampanga newspaper on August 22, 2013.