Mayor thanks Capitol, DPWH for calamity aid-A A +A
Sunday, September 1, 2013
STO. TOMAS -- Mayor Lito Naguit thanked the Pampanga Provincial Government for the assistance this municipality received after the surge of southwest monsoon (hanging habagat) last week.
“It was business as usual for our entrepreneurs, all roads were passable, there was lesser damage to properties and lesser people affected by this year’s habagat,” he said.
Naguit expressed gratitude to Governor Lilia Pineda, the Provincial Social Welfare and Development Office, the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, and the Department of Public Works and Highways for additional relief goods given to those affected by flooding this year.
“Napakalaki po ng ayuda sa atin ng ating mahal na Governor Pineda at ng mga grupong kagaya ng Fil-Chinese Chamber. Nagpapasalamat kami sa kanila at sa DPWH dahil hindi na ganoon ka-grabe ang epekto ng habagat sa amin kung ikukumpara noong nakaraang taon,” he told Sun.Star during the Fil-Chinese Chamber of Commerce and Industry Inc.’s “Operation Tulong.”
Naguit led the habagat-affected Tomasians from San Bartolome, Poblacion and San Vicente in receiving the relief mission held at the parish church.
“These beneficiaries are all enrolled under the 4Ps program at pinauna na sila ni governor. So far, okay na ang conditions nila naman because the water has subsided. Everything is going back to normal and our protective structures are working properly,” he said.
Naguit added that they are optimistic the town would be adversely affected by floods, but that Tomasians will remain vigilant and in “bayanihan mode” every time.
“I and the people of Sto. Tomas are grateful for the help and concern of our kabalens,” he said. (Jovi T. De Leon)
Published in the Sun.Star Pampanga newspaper on September 02, 2013.