Breached taildike closed-A A +A
Tuesday, September 10, 2013
MINALIN -- The breached portion of Sta. Rita Taildike has already been closed for the safety of the people, town officials said.
Mayor Edgar Flores said they had done their share, with the help of various officials supporting the "Save Minalin Movement", to strengthen the damaged portion of the taildike.
"We cannot rely on the present engineering structure. Ginawa na namin ang kailangan naming gawin para sa ating mga kababayan," he added.
The mayor stated that work on the taildike was accomplished with the help of other elected officials in neighboring municipalities.
Fourth district Representative Juan Pablo Bondoc, one of the advocates of the "Save Minalin Movement", thanked the officials of the regional office of the Department of Public Works Highways (DPWH) for the support in the campaign to rehabilitate and reinforce the existing dike structure.
He explained that closing the breached portion of Sta. Rita Taildike is not the ultimate solution to the problem.
"Una ay kailangan nating isara ang nasirang bahagi ng dike. Pangalawa, buksan ang mga sapa sa downstream para dumaloy ang tubig at ayusin pa ang labasan ng tubig," Bondoc said.
To recall, massive flooding occur in this town, Sto. Tomas, Minalin, Macabebe and Masantol due to tremendous amount of water coming from the river flowing in the megadike and downstream to the affected areas. This resulted to overflowing and breaches in several portions of the concerned dike.
The lawmaker earlier suggested re-opening the Ventura River, as one of the original water channels draining to the Labuan River in Minalin.
He further explained that water should pass through the Pasig-Potrero River out to the Labuan River, then to Sasmuan River going to Pasac River.
Board Member Nestor Tolentino, meanwhile, said they had already submitted to the public works department recommendations on the proposed thorough rehabilitation of the damaged taildike.
"We are running out of time kaya ginawa muna natin kung ano ang tama. Nagbayanihan po tayo para maisara natin ang sirang bahagi ng dike," he said.
Published in the Sun.Star Pampanga newspaper on September 11, 2013.