Mayor: San Fernando relatively safe from floods-A A +A
Sunday, August 17, 2014
CITY OF SAN FERNANDO – Riding on his buoyant report on his first year at the helm, Mayor Edwin Santiago told members of the Capampangan in Media, Inc. last Friday that this city is relatively safe from flooding.
But he has a word of caution: Fernandinos cannot yet really sleep worry-free about flooding.
“Unless the three required engineering interventions are fully implemented, the city cannot be totally safe from flooding,” he said.
And those three interventions, Santiago said, involve the construction or reconstruction of a transverse dike, reviving the Pasig-Potrero river and building a dike on its west side and desilting of the downstream rivers like the Gugu river.
Santiago said that the government, through the Department of Public Works and Highways, has alloted close to P1 billion for the massive interventions and works have already started on the transverse dike.
“Once these are completed, then we can be worry-free as far as flooding problem is concerned,” he said.
Santiago recalled that the southern part of the city suffered from floods brought by the southwest monsoon last year, damaging properties in the old downtown area, particularly business establishments.
“We have to protect the area from future flooding to encourage businessmen and other stakeholders to make the downtown area as viable and modern as possible,” he said.
At the same, Santiago said that he and three other mayors from the towns of Bacolor, Sto. Tomas and Minalin have opposed the strengthening of the tail dike south of this city estimated to cost taxpayers close to P140 million.
“It's a monster that can devastate the four areas," he said.
Santiago noted that the city has not experienced serious flooding problem since the onset of the rainy season although he agreed with the media observation that no strong typhoon with heavy rains had yet hit the city ye this year. (NCS)
Published in the Sun.Star Pampanga newspaper on August 18, 2014.