Faulty electric wiring causes fire in San Fernando | SunStar

Faulty electric wiring causes fire in San Fernando

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Faulty electric wiring causes fire in San Fernando

Thursday, October 12, 2017

PAMPANGA. City of San Fernando Mayor Edwin Santiago gets an update from F/Chief Inspector Roderick Marquez, City Fire Marshall regarding the fire that occurred at 167 Hypermart last Wednesday afternoon. A fire fighter was hurt while damage to property was estimated at P800,000. (Chris Navarro and Ian Ocampo Flora)

CITY OF SAN FERNANDO -- The Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) on Thursday, October 12, pointed on faulty electrical wiring as the cause of the fire incident that engulfed a business establishment located in the downtown area in this city on Wednesday, October 11.

BFP City Director Chief Inspector Roderick Marquez said that an electric outlet at the third floor of 167 Hypermart sparked and ignited the fire that alarmed workers and other business owners in the area on Wednesday, October 11.

"Binalikan namin kanina 'yung area to check the cause of fire at nakita namin na 'yung outlet sa third floor ay nag-spark at nadamay ang mga gamit na nakasaksak kaya mabilis kumalat ang apoy (We went back to the area to check the cause of fire and saw that the outlet in the third floor sparked and engulfed the appliances connected to it. The fire spread right away)," he said.

He added that workers of the supermarket were able to implement the first line of defense which helped in the immediate containment of the fire.

But during the firefighting, Marquez said one fireman identified as Fire Officer 1 Adrian Verdillo was injured after he fell from the building's rooftop while conducting cover-up exposure to avoid the spread of the fire.

Verdillo was released from the hospital after he underwent several tests including x-ray.

Marquez also noted that it took around three hours since the city firemen and augmentation forces from neighboring towns finally declared fire out at about 6 p.m.

He said the BFP noted around P800,000 damage to properties based on their initial assessment.

"Initial pa lang po 'yun. Expect natin lumaki pa 'yan dahil 'yung mga nabasang gamit at iba pa (It’s just an initial assessment. We expect the damages to increase since some things were soaked wet)," he said.

Published in the SunStar Pampanga newspaper on October 13, 2017.

Latest issues of SunStar Pampanga also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.


View Comments