CITY OF SAN FERNANDO - Amid the implementation of nationwide firecracker ban, the Philippine National Police (PNP) and Department of Health (DOH) still recorded more than a hundred of firecracker injuries in Central Luzon.
According to the report released by Police Regional Office (PRO)-Central Luzon, at least 149 injuries caused by the use of firecrackers were recorded since they started the strict implementation of Executive Order (EO) No. 28 on December 15 until January 1.
The DOH said that there has been a 71 percent decrease in the number of firecracker-related injuries compared to previous data from the same period last year.
Aksyon Paputok Injury Reduction (APIR) Surveillance update as of January 2, 2018, showed a total cases of 149 injuries, which is 71 percent lower compared to 521 cases from the same period in 2016.
But despite the toll of injuries, no fatal casualty related to firecrackers was recorded in the same period, the report added.
Meanwhile, 71 persons were arrested for violation of EO 28 and Republic Act 7183 (An Act Regulating the Sale, Manufacture, Distribution, and Use of Firecrackers and Other Pyrotechnic Devices) during the 88 operations conducted by police, while one civilian was nabbed for indiscriminate firing in Nueva Ecija on Christmas night.
PRO-Central Luzon director Amador Corpus said that the low figure could be attributed to the series of inspections conducted at firecracker manufacturers and stores by local police.
Chief Superintendent Corpus also cited the massive information drive and campaign initiated by the PNP together with the different government agencies on the need to regulate or avoid the use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices along with the widest dissemination of the “designated firecracker zones” imposed by local government units.
He said that no PNP personnel in the region were involved in indiscriminate firing.
"I commend the entire Central police force for a job well done, putting aside their personal convenience and comfort in exchange for a relatively peaceful and safe holiday celebration,” Corpus added.
Published in the SunStar Pampanga newspaper on January 03, 2018.
Latest issues of SunStar Pampanga also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at epaper.sunstar.com.ph and get a free seven-day trial.