Gov’t lauded for fast action on Clark airport pilferage | SunStar

Gov’t lauded for fast action on Clark airport pilferage

Time to read
2 minutes
Read so far

Gov’t lauded for fast action on Clark airport pilferage

Saturday, January 13, 2018

TOP business executives in Pampanga have lauded the government’s fast action on the reported pilferage at the Clark International Airport.

Dr. Irineo Alvaro, newly-installed chairperson of the Clark Investors and Locators Association (Cila), and other officials of the business group conveyed congratulatory messages to Clark International Airport Corporation (Ciac) acting president Alexander Cauguiran for the agency’s swift action on the incident.

Alvaro and Cila President Frankie Vilanueva were the guests during the media forum of the Capampangan in Media Incorporated (Cami) yesterday.

Both Alvaro and Villanueva cited in what they described as conducive business climate inside the Freeport.

“However we look at it, nangyari na siya so siguro the effort now is how to repair that damage to our image. Siguro ang isang dapat palakihin dito is the action that Ciac did which I congratulated this morning si Alex, tinawagan ko pare thank you for the fast action,” Alvaro said.

The Cila chairman stressed the need for the Clark locators, government officials and other stakeholders to unite in order to project to the international community that Clark Freeport is an accessible and secured business haven.

“We have to help each other to project to the whole world that Clark is a safe place to invest and visit. Because when you are in Clark you are not in the Philippines but part of the international world,” Alvaro said.

On Thursday, Cauguiran said that six ground handlers were placed under preventive suspension after being involved in the reported pilferage of the luggage of Jovinal Dela Cruz of Pandi, Bulacan.

Ciac withheld the names of the suspects pending the filing of administrative and criminal charges by the airport authorities.

“I will also recommend to Miascor the termination from employment of the suspects,” Cauguiran said. “Measures are now being undertaken with airlines and ground handlers to ensure that the incident will not happen again.”

The Ciac chief disclosed that Miascor has compensated the passenger for the lost items amounting to P82,824.

Under his Facebook account Jov En Ros, Dela Cruz on Wednesday posted his experience at Clark airport which went viral and earned the ire of netizens.

Upon the discovery of the lost items, Dela Cruz and his spouse Rosemarie Campo Versoza filed a complaint at the Clark Airport Police Station last January 10.

The couple told the airport police that they arrived in from Singapore on board a Jet Star flight last December 23.

The victim’s said they were informed by PAGS agent Jobel Fernando that they will be notified once their three luggage and one box arrived in Clark.

However, no notification was sent to the passengers after more than two weeks, the police report prepared by Chief Inspector Adriano Junio Jr. said.

“The complainants decided to go to Clark airport last January 10 for verification about their luggage were that they believed was already lost. But to their surprise, they learned that their luggage were delivered in Clark on December 24, 2017,” Junio stated.

“Upon claiming, they noticed that their luggage were damaged and found out that some items are missing,” the police officer added.

In an open letter posted on Facebook, Cauguiran sent an apology to Dela Cruz for the latter’s sad experience at the airport.

“Muli ako ay mapagpakumbabang humihingi ng paumanhin sa nangyari. Bagamat ikaw ay nabigyan ng compensasyon ng groundhandling company sa halagan P82,824 para sa nawalang gamit, naiitindihan ko ang iyong poot at galit sa nangyari,” Cauguiran told Dela Cruz.

Published in the SunStar Pampanga newspaper on January 13, 2018.

Latest issues of SunStar Pampanga also available on your mobile phones, laptops, and tablets. Subscribe to our digital editions at and get a free seven-day trial.

View Comments