Pangasinan malaria-free for past 18 months-A A +A
Tuesday, May 29, 2012
LINGAYEN – The province of Pangasinan has been malaria-free for the past 18 months, the Provincial Health Office (PHO) said.
Provincial Health Officer Anna Ma. Teresa de Guzman said PHO is closely monitoring some localities to maintain this status. Under watch are the towns of Infanta, Mabini, Sual, Burgos, Agno, Dasol and Bani at the first district and Mangatarem at the second district.
She said in 2010, there were cases that were recorded in Mangatarem and Infanta but last year, the two towns recorded zero case.
The goal is to maintain zero case for five consecutive years for Pangasinan to be declared as malaria-free province, de Guzman said.
Such declaration and certification is to be done by the Department of Health and the World Health Organization.
“We conducted health education, as well as promotion of use of treated mosquito nets at barangays where there were cases before. These mosquito nets last for five years; it can be washed but should not be dried directly under the sunlight,” she said.
She added that malaria cases can be easily monitored as victims have to be treated at a hospital. She said analgesic and antibiotic will not cure the disease.
Meanwhile, the health office is also focused in its campaign against dengue.
Based on January 1 to May 28, 2012 data, the ten localities with the most number of dengue cases recorded are Lingayen (45), San Carlos City (37), Sta. Barbara (32), Bayambang (24), Binmaley (22), Bugallon (18), Asingan (17), Alaminos City (14), Rosales (13) and Urdnadeta City (13).