PCSO: No ‘Loterya’ operator yet in Eastern Visayas

-A A +A

Wednesday, September 7, 2011


NO GAMING firm has so far started to operate here in Eastern Visayas for the newly launched Loterya ng Bayan of the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office (PCSO).

Zenaida Delantar, chief lottery operations officer of PCSO- Eastern Visayas, said their agency has yet to receive any advisory from their central office as to the official list and names of those who have passed the screening of the PCSO board to formally operate the new lottery in the region.

“So far, no gaming firm has started their operations in our area but we are not yet fully aware if there were actually operators who applied in our central office to operate in the region because no advisory has been sent to us. Anyway, the screening happened at our central office,” she told Leyte-Samar Daily Express.

She, however, was quick to say that based on initial information she knew but has yet to be confirmed, two gaming firms have expressed interest to operate Loterya ng Bayan in Leyte and one in the Samar province.

The PCSO has set July 15 this year as the deadline for the franchisee-applicants to submit their application forms for the Loterya ng Bayan for a full-blown operation of the numbers game on the first week of September.

Earlier than April this year, nearly 150 gaming firms have applied for permits to operate the new numbers game across the country and underwent rigorous applications to make sure they comply with the implementing rules and regulations approved by the PCSO.

The new gaming scheme of the state-owned agency was purposely created to defeat illegal numbers game like jueteng and swertres and to generate charity funds for the PCSO.

Delantar said they are still expecting some gaming firms who have been validated by their central office especially those operators of the defunct Small Town Lottery (STL) who operated in the region.

Two operators of STL in Eastern Visayas have backed out last year after few months of operations due to low revenue generation and oppositions from the Catholic Church.

“Those who were granted permits by our agency to operate STL last year were given preference in the application of Loterya ng Bayan because of their experience,” she declared.

“Once we received the newest advisory then we are ready to implement loterya,” the chief lottery officer of PCSO-8 stressed, adding that the launching of the new numbers game will “kill” the existing illegal numbers game in the region.

Earlier, the Philippine National Police (PNP) in the region has welcomed on the effort of the government to eliminate any forms of illegal numbers game. (Leyte Samar Daily Express)

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

Sun.Star Jobs
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Festivals
  • Sinulog
  • goodearth
  • Calamity Report
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Technology
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • Philippine Polls
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Pacman blog
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Pnoy
  • ePaper
  • Habemus Papam