Reward money for capture of mayor’s killers raised

-A A +A

Tuesday, April 3, 2012


THE reward money offered for the immediate arrest of the suspects in the killing of Calbayog City Mayor Reynaldo Uy has been raised to P2.5 million, the eldest daughter of the slain official said.

The amount was raised a few days before the family observes the first death anniversary of the mayor.

The bounty was previously set at P1.2 million by the Department of the Interior and Local Government (DILG) and the Philippine National Police (PNP). Later, the family of the victim added P800,000 to hasten the capture of the suspects.

Advertisement

“This is the commitment of our family that we are raising the bounty to P2.5 million for the immediate solution of the case as we continue our demand for justice. We want also a solid case against those behind the crime,” said Rosa Jessica Uy-Delgado, the mayor’s eldest daughter.

Uy, a former Samar congressman, was shot to death by a lone gunman on April 30, 2011 inside a covered court in Hinabangan town, Samar. He sustained a fatal gunshot wound at the left upper part of his breast area. He died the following day in a private hospital in Tacloban City.

The suspects, however, remain scot-free, pending an investigation and manhunt operations by authorities.

Delgado said there were already some leads that are giving them clear details as to the persons behind the crime.

“We know that there are some people who are involved in politics that conspired to the killing of our father. I want to stress that we already have some leads in this case and this will come out in due time,” she said.

“And the raising of the bounty is a manifestation that we continue our fight to demand justice,” she added, stressing that those who could give information will be assured that their identities will be treated with confidentiality.

Police Superintendent Mafelino Bazar, regional director of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) in Samar, welcomed this development, saying this would help authorities in the ongoing investigation.

“We were not informed by the family of the victim but nevertheless, it will speed up the investigation because the amount is now very substantial and would encourage those who have knowledge on the crime to come out,” he said.

CIDG is one of the members of the investigating body tasked to probe Uy’s murder.

Bazar said they are still investigating the incident despite the family’s “lack of confidence” on the ongoing inquiry. The family has now tapped the National Bureau of Investigation to lead the investigation.

“But even if we are not in the front of investigating the crime, we are not abandoning our task force. Our investigation will still proceed,” he said. (Leyte Samar Daily Express)

Local news

DISCLAIMER: Sun.Star website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessary reflect the views of the Sun.Star management and its affiliates. Sun.Star reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules: Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent and respectful. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!
Sun.Star Jobs
  • Obituary
  • Sun.Star Zup!
  • Philippine Polls
  • Technology
  • Habemus Papam
  • Sunstar Multimedia
  • tell it to sunstar
  • Pacman blog
  • Filipino Abroad
  • Calamity Report
  • ePaper
  • Festivals
  • SunStar Celebrity
  • Sinulog
  • Pnoy
  • goodearth