Eastern Visayas cops tighten security after Bohol attack | SunStar

Eastern Visayas cops tighten security after Bohol attack

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Eastern Visayas cops tighten security after Bohol attack

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

TACLOBAN CITY -- The Philippine National Police (PNP) has tightened security in coastal communities in Eastern Visayas after the foiled attack of the Abu Sayyaf Group in nearby Bohol province.

Chief Inspector Ma. Bella Rentuaya, PNP Eastern Visayas spokesperson, said Tuesday that coastal villages have been guarded by cops, especially in Biliran and Southern Leyte province, given their proximity to Mindanao and Bohol.

“The police regional office directed police stations in the provinces and towns to double their security measures. The intelligence community has been stepping up coordination efforts. The intelligence fusion started after the Hilongos town plaza bombing on December 28, 2016,” the official said.

Rentuaya assured that Eastern Visayas is generally safe, noting that there are no reports about the presence of Abu Sayyaf members in the region.

“Our appeal to the public is not to spread unverified information because it may cause panic. If they see suspicious people roaming around their communities, they have to report it to nearby police stations,” she said.

Public safety companies in the provinces have been asked to heighten patrol operations in coastal areas of the region to prevent the possible entry of terrorists. (PNA)


View Comments