Classes suspended in quake-hit Leyte towns | SunStar

Classes suspended in quake-hit Leyte towns

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Classes suspended in quake-hit Leyte towns

Tuesday, July 11, 2017

CLASSES have been suspended Tuesday, July 11, in the cities of Ormoc and Tacloban following the strong earthquake that struck Leyte province recently.

Suspended are classes in pre-elementary, elementary, high school and senior high school levels.

Tacloban City Mayor Cristina Romualdez and Ormoc City Mayor Richard Gomez issued separate executive orders on the suspension of classes.

Gomez said that given the magnitude and the intensity of the earthquake in a span of less than a week, there was a need to ensure the structural integrity of the buildings in Ormoc City, especially of the public and private educational institutions.

Romualdez, for her part, said that the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council and the City Engineer’s Office have recommended that engineering inspection and structural assessment on certain buildings and structures must be conducted to determine the impact of the quake.

Other Leyte municipalities that declared suspension of classes include San Miguel, Barugo, Carigara and Kananga.

Kananga had one casualty, after a three-story commercial building collapsed on July 6 when a magnitude 6.5 tremor struck Leyte. (PNA)


View Comments