THIS is not about that unfortunate September terrorist attacks that will forever leave a scar in the history of America. My 9-11 vibe is completely the opposite—it’s feel good list. Here are 11 of my best picks—events, food and products, for September.
1. SM Lanang Premier opening. The most anticipated opening of the newest and biggest mall in Mindanao has come. SM Lanang, the first SM premier mall the country, opened a couple of days back and launched its department store, grocery, IMAX theater, SMX Convention Center and Forever 21. Several of the mall tenants opened for business as well. This will be another shopping destination for the locals and tourists for sure.
2. Havaianas flip-flops. The company who made flip-flops chic turned 50. All these years, this Brazilian product brought a blaze of color and turned the “slippers” into a fashion statement. The recently held MYOH—Make Your Own Havaianas, gave the Havaianas fans another chance to express their creativity by fashioning their own pairs. If you can’t have enough, head to any of their stores and pick from a wide range of designs that’ll brighten up your day each time you wear a pair.
3. T’nalak Home’s Christmas Trees. As soon as the yuletide carols filled the airwaves, T’nalak Home brought out their Christmas decorations. Hand crafted using abaca fibers and made in different heights, these chic decors will definitely brighten anyone’s home and spirit this coming holiday season.
4. Parfois. Months after it opened, I finally got to visit this ladies store and was completely surprised with its offering—a full range of women’s accessories. All imported, the products are chic, well crafted, follows the seasonal trend of global fashion and very, very affordable. Check out the bags and the scarves you can brighten it with.
5. Durian Nainaimo Bars. Marco Polo Hotel and the Embassy of Canada brought to town the best of Canada’s fresh and safe high-quality products and have the guest chef, ‘Curiosity got the chef’ Sharwin Tee, whip up a spread with a touch of Davao. The best interpretation was in the Durian Nanaimo Bars— a traditional Canadian treat fused with Davao flavor. The Canadian food fest at Café Marco ends tonight, last chance to enjoy this dessert.
6. Eco-Bags. Long before Davao banned the use of plastic bags, I have been advocating my personal sustainable environment cause and carry a pack-away tote bag all the time. I lost count on how many plastic bags I declined using for groceries and other items. Davao establishments have been picking up the trend and coming up with their own eco-bags in chic designs. It’s a win-win move—good for the environment and promotes the company who supports the cause.
7. Forever 21. The clothes are trendy and inexpensive for a US brand, that’s why this store has a huge following. The fans are celebrating and the first wave came to the inauguration. However, the fashion show (which started 30 minutes late) didn’t do the store’s collection justice. For an opening salvo, the styling was below par (was a professional hired?) that looked like hurried, random department store pickings made evident on the men’s, children’s and most of the women’s collection. The show didn’t have “oomph!” Luckily for Forever 21, their shoppers are stylish enough to know what they want to buy.
8. Baby Cakes new chocolate cupcake. The baker’s trip to the USA must have been a learning and inspiring one. She came home and refashioned the chocolate cupcake (as if it’s not a best seller). Now Baby Cakes has this improved version of its predecessor.
9. Moon Cakes. The mid-Autumn festival brings about another Chinese favorite treat of mine-- moon cakes. Today, Lotus Court at Marco Polo is hosting a one-day only dinner celebration with a show. Sadly, it’s also the last day to enjoy these sweet treats, not unless you hoard a supply good for months.
10. Ateneo Oval Track. Running may be the trend to keep fit but doing it on a rubberized track is better—it’s kinder to the knees lessening the chance of injury. If you’re an alumnus of the Ateneo, then you’re in luck. You can secure an alumni ID and you can do your cardiovascular exercise and burn your fats on the track at the Matina compound.
11. State-of-the-art Fresenius dialyzers. Nobody wants to get sick but if by any chance you are diagnosed with a kidney problem and in need of dialysis, the best place to go is the newly renovated and and expanded Mindanao Dialysis Center at the Southern Philippines Medical Center. It is the biggest in the country by far (in bed space) and boasts of the latest, state-of-the-art dialysis machines provided by Fresenius Medical Care. With the care for the needy as the center’s primary concern, the treatment is priced at the minimum.
For more lifestyle & travel stories, visit http://apples-and-lemons.blogspot.com/ and http://jeepneyjinggoy.blogspot.com/