Communication lines opened for missing journalist-A A +A
By Bong Garcia
Tuesday, June 19, 2012
THE government keeps its communication lines open to ascertain the fate of the Jordanian journalist and his two Filipino crews who were reported missing in the island province of Sulu.
Department of Interior and Local Government Secretary Jesse Robredo said he could not say whether the three-man news team had been kidnapped, citing there is no basis to say so.
Robredo arrived in Zamboanga City Tuesday to attend the forum on disaster preparedness and climate change adaptation.
“We don’t want to presume that there is a demand and that they are being held against their will,” Robredo said.
Baker Abdulla Atyani, 43, Al Arabiya News Channel bureau chief for Southeast Asia, Rolando Letrero, 22, an audioman, and photographer Ramelito Vela, 39, are missing for a week already.
Atyani’s team went to Jolo, Sulu to do a documentary on Mindanao.
Robredo said the information they received on Monday said the two Filipinos are in good condition.
The information came from one of the two Filipinos, who called his family in Manila, said Robredo.