Typhoon victims, elderly receive relief assistance-A A +A
Monday, January 14, 2013
A TOTAL of 166 families whose houses were destroyed by Typhoon Lawin on September last year and 50 selected senior citizens have received relief assistance from the government through the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD).
The relief assistance was distributed to the identified beneficiaries on Friday by Mayor Celso Lobregat and DSWD Social Welfare Officer Elizabeth Dy.
Of the 166 families, Lobregat said that 146 of them are from the village of Labuan, and the remaining 22 families are from the nearby village of Patalon.
The families whose houses were destroyed during the onslaught of typhoon Lawin have received P10,000 cash assistance each while P5,000 were given to each families whose houses were damaged, he said.
The DSWD has already released the amount of P1.5 million in emergency shelter assistance for Typhoon Lawin victims in Zamboanga City.
Meanwhile, Lobregat said that each of the 50 selected senior citizens received three kilos rice.
They were assessed by the field office of the City Social Welfare and Development Office.
Labuan village chief Ronald Maravilla assisted Lobregat and Dy in the distribution of relief assistance. (Bong Garcia)