Displaced Pinoy workers to return in Sabah-A A +A
By Bong Garcia
Wednesday, August 28, 2013
A TOP official of the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (Owwa) announced that 2,320 displaced Filipino workers are set to return to work in September in Sabah.
The Filipino workers were displaced by the stand-off that started in February 12 when some 200 followers of the Sultanate of Sulu landed in Lahad Datu, Sabah, and laid claim on the territory.
Owwa Regional Director Hassan Jumdain said that the 2,320 were among the 3,683 individuals who secured passports and other required travel documents from July 28 to August 9 at the One-Stop Shop Processing Center (OSPC) in Tawi-Tawi.
The government has established the OSPC purposely to document the displaced Filipino workers brought about by the stand-off in Sabah.
Jumdain said the workers are already entitled to enjoy all the benefits due them since they were registered as Owwa members and were issued Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC).
He said the Tawi-Tawi OSPC has so far registered 18,387 deportees and displaced workers who are from the provinces of Basilan, Sulu and Tawi-Tawi from March 1 to August 9 this year.
Meanwhile, Jumdain said they have tightened the watch in ports to ensure that all departing workers have Owwa membership certificate and OEC.
He said there were 43 departing workers were off-loaded last week in Tawi-Tawi since they do not have the complete required documents.