DSWD: Evacuees now at 62,329-A A +A
By Bong Garcia
Saturday, September 14, 2013
THE Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has adopted a food distribution system to effectively serve the thousands of evacuees affected in the standoff in Zamboanga City.
The number of evacuees as of 11 a.m. Saturday already reached 62,329 individuals housed in 18 evacuation centers.
The biggest evacuation center, which houses 44,472 of the 62,329 individuals, is the City Government-owned Joaquin Enriquez Memorial Sports Complex in the village of San Jose Cawa-Cawa.
DSWD Secretary Corazon “Dinky” Soliman said Saturday they have established a community kitchen for the evacuees of each village.
Soliman said that so far they have established 11 community kitchens, which are handled by village leaders.
“It is going to be distribution by barangay,” Soliman said.
The evacuees fled their homes after hostilities broke out when hundreds of “Misuari-faction” of Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) rebels infiltrated this city on Monday.
The hostilities entered its sixth day as government forces continued their offensive on the rebels holed out in the adjoining villages of Sta. Barbara and Sta. Catalina.
Relief goods continue to arrive for the evacuees from nearby provinces, civic organizations, business groups, among others.
The US has provided $600,000 relief and emergency assistance through the United States Assistance for International Development (USAid) in an expression of concern for the well-being of the people of Zamboanga City.