Raps filed vs MNLF rebels in Zambo standoff-A A +A
By Bong Garcia
Wednesday, September 25, 2013
THE police have filed criminal cases before the prosecutor’s office against 114 Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) rebels involved in the standoff in Zamboanga City that entered its 17th day Wednesday.
Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) chief Director Francisco Uyami Jr. said that the cases filed against the rebels are rebellion as embodied in Article 134 of the Revised Penal Code of the Philippines and violation of Republic Act 9851 otherwise known as the International Humanitarian Law (IHL).
Uyami said that of the 114 captured rebels, 25 were charged last Friday, 32 were charged last Sunday, and 57 on Tuesday.
He said that among those charged were captured MNLF commanders including Habier Malik, who is still being pursued by the government forces.
The standoff started last September 9, when hundreds of MNLF rebels led by Malik infiltrated this city.
Uyami said they have an airtight case against the MNLF rebels, who are now detained at the San Ramon Prison and Penal Colony in Zamboanga City.
Meanwhile, Zamboanga Peninsula information officer Chief Inspector Ariel Huesca said that 107 MNLF rebels were so far killed in the standoff as of 7 p.m. Wednesday as government forces continue to pursue the rebels.
Huesca said that 19 were killed on the government side -- 14 soldiers and five policemen. Some 164 were wounded -- 150 soldiers and 14 policemen.
Huesca said that 12 civilians were killed while 72 others were wounded in the standoff.
Police Crime Laboratory Deputy Director for Operations Senior Superintendent Nicandro Canaleja said that a total of 142 firearms were confiscated by the troops from the rebels.
Of the total firearms, Canaleja said that 115 are high-powered, 19 low-powered, and eight are crew-serve weapons liked mortar and a caliber .50 machinegun.