Troops clear 'Sectors 3 and 4'-A A +A
Tuesday, October 15, 2013
THE Task Force Suyod, which has been conducting clearing operations following the Zamboanga standoff, has cleared the whole "Sector 3" and "Sector 4" in the so-called "areas of concerns," a police official said Tuesday.
The Sector 3 covers Sitio Buggok in the village of Sta. Barbara, while the Sector 4 covers the village of Mariki and part of Kasanyangan village.
Zamboanga Peninsula police information officer Chief Inspector Ariel Huesca said the two sectors were completely cleared Monday afternoon.
Huesca said that so far, the clearing teams have only recovered two firearms and an unexploded 40-milimeter grenade on the last day of their clearing operations.
He said the firearms were turned over to the Regional Crime Laboratory and the unexploded 40-mm grenade to the Explosive Ordnance Demolition (EOD) for proper disposition.
The clearing operations are being conducted by Task Force Suyod in coordination with Task Force Igsoon, both of joint Task Force Zampelan (Zamboanga Peninsula and Lanao).
The village of Kasanyangan is adjacent to Barangay Sta. Catalina and Mariki to Rio Hondo, the sites of the fierce firefight during the standoff, which started when hundreds of Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) rebels infiltrated the city last September 9.
Meanwhile, Army's 32nd Infantry Battalion Jemar Johnson Aseron said the residents are not yet allowed to return home since they have yet to completely clear the entire "areas of concerns" to ensure their safety.
At least 2,006 establishments -- classified as burned, damaged and destroyed -- were subjected to clearing operations that started last September 29.
Twenty-three of the 2,006 establishments are government offices and establishments. (Bong Garcia)