Singson visits standoff-affected areas-A A +A
Sunday, October 27, 2013
DEPARTMENT OF Public Works and Highways (DPWH) Secretary Rogelio Singson said on Saturday that it will take time to rehabilitate the areas affected by the standoff last month in Zamboanga City.
Singson made the announcement after he, accompanied by local government officials and consultants, inspected the adjoining villages of Sta. Catalina and Rio Hondo, all in this city.
The two villages are among the areas infiltrated by members of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) last September 9.
Singson and his party, before they set foot in the two villages, conducted an aerial inspection upon arriving in the city on Saturday morning.
“Malaki ang damaged. We need time to re-plan the affected areas,” said Singson, who brought along with him consultants, architects, and engineers, to assist in the rehabilitation efforts.
He said they have to draw down the plans first and to identify how many residents will be relocated on a permanent site to determine how much funds are needed to rehabilitate the affected villages.
“You cannot have the budget now without knowing what to do,” he said.
President Benigno Aquino III has announced that there is an available fund of P3.89 billion from his office’ contingency and calamity funds to be used in the rehabilitation works.
Singson said that part of the rehabilitation effort is the construction of road networks in the areas affected by the standoff.
He said that it will take weeks or even months to conduct the census to determine who will be relocated as well as to identify the lot owners.