Police seize P.5-M firecrackers-A A +A
By Bong Garcia
Thursday, December 19, 2013
A CHINESE national, who yielded some P500,000 worth of illegally-sold firecrackers and pyrotechnic products, was arrested in an entrapment operation in Zamboanga Sibugay province.
Firearms, Explosives, Security Agency and Guards Section (FESAGS) head Ariel Huesca said the Chinese national was arrested around 6 p.m. Tuesday in an entrapment at 168 Mega Commercial in the village of Poblacion, Ipil, the capital of Zamboanga Sibugay.
Zamboanga Sibugay police director Robert Bahian identified the arrested suspect as a certain "Si Bahya Chang".
Bahian said the entrapment is part of the campaign for zero firecracker-related incident injured especially during the New Year's Eve revelry.
Huesca said the entrapment was carried out following reports that the suspect was selling firecrackers and pyrotechnic products even without business permit from the Municipal Government.
Huesca said that the Municipal Government has banned the sale of firecrackers and pyrotechnic products this year.
The suspect is detained at the headquarters while a case for violation of Republic Act 7183, an act regulating the sale, manufacture, distribution and use of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices is readied to be filed against him.
The police are monitoring the different parts of the region to ensure there are no firecracker and pyrotechnic products being sold illegally.
Huesca has disclosed earlier that they are monitoring a local Chinese businessman selling firecrackers although the latter's license is already expired.
He withheld the name of the businessman. (Bong Garcia)