Zamboanga siege victims receive permanent houses | SunStar

Zamboanga siege victims receive permanent houses

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Zamboanga siege victims receive permanent houses

Monday, November 28, 2016

ZAMBOANGA. Displaced families during the 2013 Zamboanga siege, stand outside the permanent shelters the National Housing Authority awarded to them on Monday. (Bong Garcia)

ONE hundred eighty-four building-type houses were turned over to siege-affected families on Monday, November 28, in the village of Kasanyangan, Zamboanga City.

The turnover was held in ceremonies presided by National Housing Authority (NHA) General Manager Marcelo Escalada, Jr. and Mayor Ma. Isabelle Climaco-Salazar.

On September 9, 2013, hundreds of Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF) members loyal to MNLF Chaiperson Nur Misuari infiltrated and laid sieges in five coastal villges of Zamboanga City.

The 21-day siege caused havoc to hundreds of families that later stayed in the city's main sports complex.

The 184 units constructed in 23 buildings form part of the total 828 housing units with an overall cost of P71.939 million to be constructed in Evangelista-Vista Homes.

The Evangelista-Vista Homes is one of the 19 housing packages under the Zamboanga City Roadmap to Recovery and Reconstruction (Z3R) and undertaken by the NHA.

“As far as the design, as far as the budget, this is the most and the best housing project so far that I have visited,” Escalada said.

Escalada said he was overwhelmed to see the building-type houses, considering the budget is roughly P290,000 each unit.

“Grabe! Lipay kayo ko pag sulod. Ka gwapo man diay ang nahimo nga balay sa P290,000,” said Escalada, who hails from Davao City. “This is the best!” he added.

However, he reminded the beneficiaries, most internally displaced families from different transitory sites, of their obligations to keep their houses and surroundings clean and green without any extensions or developments. (Sunnex)


View Comments