3 workers escape from Abu Sayyaf captors | SunStar

3 workers escape from Abu Sayyaf captors

Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

3 workers escape from Abu Sayyaf captors

Friday, August 11, 2017

THREE Zamboangueño construction workers have escaped from the Abu Sayyaf Group and were safely recovered by government troops in the province of Sulu, a top military official said Friday, August 11.

Brigadier General Cirilito Sobejana, Joint Task Force Sulu commander, identified those safely recovered as Jason Vailoces, Joel Adanza, and Filemon Guerrero Jr., all residents of the village of Tumaga, Zamboanga City.

Sobejana said they were safely recovered around 9 a.m. Friday in the village of Kagay, Talipao, Sulu after the village chief reported to the authorities the presence of the three men in the area.

He said the three victims revealed that the Abu Sayyaf bandits led by Almujer Yadah moved them from one place to the other “pushing them away from the ASG (Abu Sayyaf Group) stronghold where they don’t avail of any community support anymore like provision of food, etc.” because of continuous military operations.

On Thursday, five Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in a clash in Sitio Langhub, Barangay Pang, Kalingalan Caluang, Sulu.

READ: 5 Abu Sayyaf members, 2 soldiers killed in Sulu clash

Sobejana said the three kidnap victims took the opportunity to escape around 4 p.m. Thursday while their Abu Sayyaf captors were praying.

He said they will be airlifted to this city to reunite with their families and loved ones after completing the mandatory procedures like medical examination and debriefing.

The three were among the five construction workers the Abu Sayyaf bandits seized on July 15 from their barracks at the provincial sports complex in the village of Bangkal, Patikul, Sulu.

One of the five identified as Jenly Miranda escaped hours after they were seized.

Still in captivity is Edmundo Ramos, also of this city. (SunStar Philippines)


View Comments