Military official: No eminent threat to Zamboanga City | SunStar

Military official: No eminent threat to Zamboanga City

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Military official: No eminent threat to Zamboanga City

Monday, October 02, 2017

A TOP military official announced that there is no eminent threat from lawless elements, including the Abu Sayyaf Group.

Colonel Leonel Nicolas, Task Force Zamboanga commander, made this assurance on Monday, October 2, a day after the 2017 Zamboanga Hermosa Festival reeled-off.

Nicolas said security measures are in place to ensure the peaceful and orderly celebration of the Zamboanga Hermosa Festival, the highlight of which is the feast day on October 12 of Our Lady of the Pillar, the most revered saint of the city.

“There is no eminent threat in Zamboanga (City). The threat is there, but it’s not eminent. It’s not about to happen,” Nicolas added, citing his command has coordinated with the military units in the nearby provinces.

He assured his command in coordination with the police will not lower the guards to prevent atrocities by lawless elements to include the Abu Sayyaf bandits from nearby areas.

He said they have realigned the task force personnel to secure the different activities of the Zamboanga Hermosa Festival since there was no augmentation of troops.

Nicolas urged the public to help them in maintaining the security by providing timely information concerning the presence of people acting suspiciously in their respective villages.

Several activities have been lined up in line with the celebration of the Zamboanga Hermosa Festival.

The festival reeled off on Sunday, October 1, with two back to back activities setting the stage for the month-long celebration.

The opening salvo featured celebrity performer Daryl Ong of the Voice of the Philippines Season 2. (SunStar Philippines)


View Comments