THE Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom) is conducting a multi-sectoral forum on Countering and Preventing Violent Extremism to development programs and activities against extremism.
Major Ezra Balagtey, Eastmincom information officer, said the forum will be held on Friday, October 6, at the San Lorenzo Ruiz Formation Center, Butuan City.
Balagtey said the forum will gather representatives from various sectors in Caraga Region, which comprises of the provinces of Agusan del Norte, Agusan de Sur, Dinagat Islands, Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur.
Balagtey said that some of the invited and expected personalities to participate will come from the youth, security, religious, academe, Bangsamoro, Indigenous Peoples and other sectors.
He said the forum is part of the continuing activity of Eastmincom in sustaining peace while preventing violent extremism in its area of responsibility.
A similar forum was held on August 23 in Davao City to educate, aware, and draw input and support from various sectors in Davao Region to develop programs and activities in preventing extremism through the context of whole of nation approach.
Balagtey said that Lieutenant General Rey Leonardo Guerrero, Eastmincom chief, will grace the forum in Butuan City, which will also be highlighted with the presentation of topics aligned on countering violent extremism from the resource speakers.
The resource speakers are Dr. Mark Anthony Torres of the Institute for Peace and Development in Mindanao based in Mindanao State University - Iligan City; Mussollini Lidasan, Al Qualam Institute on Islamic Studies director; and, Ednar Dayanghirang.
Balagtey said the forum will end with the presentation of inputs and recommendations of the participants from various sectors to support in preventing terrorism.
The forum in Butuan City will be the second leg of the three regional fora that are being conducted by Eastmincom.
The forum will be held in Soccsksargen on the last week of this month. (Bong Garcia/SunStar Philippines)