Measles outbreak declared in Zamboanga City | SunStar

Measles outbreak declared in Zamboanga City

Time to read
less than
1 minute
Read so far

Measles outbreak declared in Zamboanga City

Monday, February 12, 2018

MAYOR Maria Isabelle Climaco-Salazar has declared a measles outbreak in Zamboanga City in view of the 1,343 percent increase in measles cases from January 1 to February 1 this year.

Climaco-Salazar issued Executive Order BC 333-2018 on February 9 as per the City Health Office's recommendation.

The order directed the City Health Office to "institute, undertake and implement preventive and proactive measures to effectively address" the outbreak.

The local health office has recorded 101 suspected measles cases during the first four weeks of the year, representing a 1,343-percent increase in the number of cases as compared to the same period last year.

Dr. Dulce Amor Dagalea-Miravite, OIC city health officer, said the number of cases is above the outbreak threshold level, thus the declaration.

She said 49 percent of those with suspected measles were males, while 51 percent were females.

At least 34 of the 101 cases belong to the one to five years age group, she added.

She said it was noted that the highest proportion of cases has no history of immunization. (Bong Garcia/SunStar Philippines)

View Comments