Tuesday, October 26, 2021

4 VSMMC doctors face raps for infant’s death

FOUR medical personnel of the state-run Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) are facing criminal and administrative complaints before the anti-graft office for the death of a newborn boy last June 5, 2016.

Roldan Añosa and his wife Edalene filed the complaints, accusing the respondents of imprudence and negligence.

READ: Couple files complaint vs hospital over child’s death

The respondents are Doctors Ma. Angelica Martinez, Thalia Tubungbanua, Kim Gumalo and Carlene Loise Cunanan.

A separate complaint for misconduct and neglect of duty was filed against Martinez.

“We want justice for our baby and the maltreatment made by VSMMC staff,” the couple said in their complaint.

Edalene said she also suffered injuries because she is still experiencing pain and could barely walk after giving birth.

The doctors, in their counter-affidavit, denied committing any negligence or imprudence in the performance of their duties.

Edalene, 32, of Barangay Basak, Lapu-Lapu City, said her son died in the hands of the doctors hours after she delivered him at the VSMMC.


She said her husband initially brought her to the Lapu-Lapu City District Hospital, but he transferred her to the VSMMC when she went into labor.

When VSMMC staff discovered she was having a breech baby, or when a baby is born bottom first instead of head first, Edalene was immediately prepped to undergo caesarian section.

But Edalene said that when she arrived in the delivery room, around 10 doctors made her undergo normal delivery.

She said one of the doctors even tried to make her sign a document that would release them from any liability should something happen to her or her baby.

While in the delivery room, the doctors reportedly took turns attending to Edalene.

They allegedly panicked when the head of the baby got stuck in her cervix.

When doctors finally got the baby out, his condition was allegedly critical.

Edalene was placed in the ward where she waited for her son to be brought to her. But she never saw him.

Two hours after giving birth, she heard from doctors that he was dead.

Read: Ma claims hospital killed baby
style="display:block; text-align:center;"


SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.

Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!