THE four doctors from the Vicente Sotto Memorial Medical Center (VSMMC) who were blamed for the death of a newborn boy will remain in the hospital, an official said yesterday.
Eleodoro “Nonoy” Mongaya of the VSMMC Public Assistance and Complaints Section told Sun. Star Cebu that doctors Maria Angelica Martinez, Thalia Tubungbanua, Kim Gumalo and Carlene Loise Cunanan will continue to serve the hospital as the investigation on the matter is still ongoing.
Mongaya said that the concerned doctors already submitted their counter-affidavits before the Office of the Ombudsman-Visayas to answer the administrative and criminal complaints filed against them by couple Roldan and Edalene Añosa.
Mongaya said that when the news broke about the death of the infant last year, VSMMC officials immediately created a committee to investigate the matter.
On June 21, 2016, the VSMMC submitted the results of their investigation to the Department of Health 7.
Mongaya said that the couple did not file a complaint before their office, which would have been used as the basis in conducting a full investigation.
The couple filed criminal and administrative complaints against the four doctors before the anti-graft office following the death of their son last June 5, 2016.
“We want justice for our baby and the maltreatment made by VSMMC staff,” the couple said in their complaints.
A separate complaint for misconduct and neglect of duty was filed against Martinez.