POLICE have received reports illegal drugs were still smuggled into the Cebu City Jail, where more than P200,000 worth of shabu was found in a raid two months ago.
Senior Insp. Narolf Tan of the Cebu City Police Office (CCPO) said the supply reportedly comes from Ozamiz City, Misamis Occidental.
Female visitors, he said, sneaked shabu inside the jail in Barangay Kalunasan by hiding the sachets in their private parts.
“Isa pud ni sa atung paningkamotan nga naa tay makuhang impormasyon nga mo-confirm ato nga info, bag-o ni nga information nga naa pay mga kontrabando nga mosulod (We will try to get more information on this. We’ve just recently been told that contraband was still getting inside),” Tan told reporters yesterday.
Tan told the inmates to tell the authorities if they have information about the drug smugglers.
The police conducted an Oplan Taphang in the city jail yesterday morning and requested the first batch of more than 70 inmates not to use or sell illegal drugs. Taphang combines the Cebuano words “tapok” and “hangyo”, and is an effort to gather people in order to persuade them to give up illegal drugs.
A 51-year-old inmate admitted he used shabu, but he denied he was a pusher.
“Magbag-o na gyod ko para sa akong pamilya (I am going to change for my family’s sake),” he said.
Last Aug. 13, authorities seized P4.6 million in cash and 70 grams of shabu worth P240,000 from the city jail in a raid, which also included the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center (CPDRC).
Tan, chief of the City Anti-Illegal Drugs Special Operations Task Group, said in yesterday’s activity that the Bureau of Jail Management and Penology (BJMP) 7 is strengthening its security.
The City Intelligence Branch received the information about the allegedly ongoing drug deals in the jail.
Senior Supt. Dennis Agustin, the Police Regional Office 7 directorial staff chief, led the activities yesterday.
Cebu City Councilor Dave Tumulak, the deputy mayor on police matters, told the inmates that the City Government plans to augment their current P50 food allowance.
“Naa tay gibutang sa budget karon nga P20 per inmate nga atong gidungag ngadto nila basta mosuporta sila sa kapulisan ug sa BJMP nga kinahanglan nga masumpo na gyod ning drugas (We have budgeted an additional P20 per inmate, which the City will grant if everyone supports the police and BJMP in this campaign to wipe out illegal drugs),” he said.
Tumulak also told the inmates that the police was not responsible for the deaths of suspected drug pushers in the hands of so far unidentified assailants.
Cebu City Jail Warden Jessie Calumpang said that 1,864 of the 3,278 inmates are facing drug cases. That’s about 57 percent of the jail population.
He told the inmates that they may earn a shorter jail term if they behave well.
“Gusto nato malimpiyo ang facility. I hope mosanong mo sa ilang hangyo (We want this facility to be cleaned up. I hope you will grant the authorities’ request),” said Calumpang.
Some of the inmates, however, did not sign the affidavit promising to give up using or selling illegal drugs, saying they were facing murder charges and not cases related to narcotics.
Last Sept. 27, the Cebu Provincial Police Office conducted Oplan Tokhang in the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center, asking 500 inmates not to use or sell illegal drugs. (Tokhang was an earlier campaign against illegal drugs, and had the police knocking on the doors of suspected drug users or peddlers, in order to persuade them to give it up.)
An inmate facing a murder case was caught allegedly sniffing shabu inside his cell two days later.
A new charge was filed against Maximo Cedeño and he was placed in an isolation cell, while his 30 cellmates were barred from accepting visitors as a punishment.