THE Cebu City Council is declaring a state of calamity in the city to facilitate the use of resources in containing dengue infection.
The declaration, approved in Tuesday's regular session, has the support of Mayor Tomas Osmeña.
Last Monday, the Provincial Board declared a dengue outbreak in the province to warn people about the infection.
Since last year, the city has been in a state of dengue alertness due to the abnormally high occurrence of dengue infection, especially during months of abundant rainfall.
In a joint resolution, Councilors David Tumulak and Mary Ann delos Santos said this year has shown an alarming increase in the number of dengue cases compared to the last three years.
“The City Health Department (CHD) has recommended for the declaration in the city to maximize the use of their resources in the eradication of dengue. Dengue fever still poses a great threat to the populace and is one of the deadliest scourges affecting residents not only in the city, but also in the entire world,” the councilors said.
Tumulak heads the committee on health and sanitation while delos Santos has been designated as deputy mayor on health by Osmeña.
Out of 2,089 recorded cases this year, 23 deaths have been reported as of October 1.
This is the highest death toll on the infection the city has had for the last three years.
In 2013, five deaths were reported out of 1,933 recorded cases.
The cases dropped by 660 the following year, but still with five reported deaths.
In 2015, from 1,273 cases, this increased to 2,145 with 16 recorded deaths.
Tumulak and delos Santos said that various anti-dengue activities have been undertaken in barangays with the highest number of cases to prevent and control the spread of dengue.
Last August, the Department of Health identified Sitio Lusaran in Barangay Pardo as one of the 80 dengue hot zone villages in the country.
Recently, tarpaulins warning the public about dengue zones have been posted in Pari-an, after CHD recorded 23 cases in the barangay last month.
“Anti-dengue activities are presently being undertaken in the identified barangays with the highest cases with the aim to prevent and control the spread of the infection, provide proper and immediate treatment and care to those affected, thus preventing further loss of life,” the councilors said.
SunStar Cebu tried to reach CHD head Dr. Alma Corpin for their recommendations and for the names of other hot zone barangays, but got no response.