NEGROS Occidental Governor Alfredo Marañon Jr. said Tuesday that the aggressive anti-drug campaign of the Provincial Government will continue until there are no more drug users.
He said the Capitol will again allocate funds next year to boost its efforts and initiatives to address the drug menace.
It has allocated P5 million for the anti-drug campaign this year.
Part of the funds was used for the rehabilitation of drug users. So far, 115 drug surrenderers have completed the three wellness camps initiated by the Provincial Government with the Philippine Army.
Ma. Lina Sanogal, provincial planning and development coordinator and action officer of the Provincial Anti-Drug Abuse Council, said the results have been very encouraging since they started the program in August.
“It is very positive based on the feedback from both the campers and local government units (LGUs),” she said.
Sanogal said the LGUs where the drug dependents came from replicated the modules in their own community-based rehabilitation program where the “graduates” of the wellness camps serve or volunteer as facilitators.
Marañon noted that even if the rehabilitation program was “very successful,” there are still those in need of help.
The number of drug users has declined, but they are still there, the governor added.
On policemen under probe for their alleged involvement in the illegal drug trade, Marañon said he believes that not only policemen are into drugs, but also those who are working in government.
He said there will be a random drug test at the Capitol, but he refused to say when.
Marañon reiterated his call to officials involved to stop their illegal drug activities and submit themselves for rehabilitation.