MANILA - No Filipino was reported dead or injured due to the powerful quake that struck northwestern Japan on Tuesday morning, November 22.
“So far, there are no reports of any Filipino affected by the earthquake in Japan,” Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) spokesman and incoming Ambassador to Malaysia, Charles Jose, said.
The information was relayed to Jose by Philippine Ambassador to Japan Manuel Lopez, who immediately checked on the Filipino community there.
Jose said the Philippine Ambassador to Japan said the Filipino who was earlier reported to be trapped under an automobile is now safe and not injured.
The U.S. Geological Survey said the 6.9 magnitude tremor struck 35 kilometers (km) from Tomioka, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan at 4:59 a.m. More than 100 aftershocks have been recorded after the tremors.
Reports also claimed that people have been evacuated, and Lopez said some Filipinos may be among them.
The ambassador also claimed that there were some Filipinos who might be in evacuation centers but there were no confirmation yet.
He said the Philippine Consulate in Japan is now checking if there are Filipino communities affected in other areas.
He added that all residents have been advised by local government to stay indoors in anticipation of more aftershocks.
Jose said their men are closely checking other areas, hoping to receive more updates. (PNA)