THE government has started the inspection of 130 manufacturers and retailers/dealers of pyrotechnics and firecrackers in Bulacan to determine if they comply with the occupational safety and health standards (OSHS), the Department of Labor and Employment (Dole) said.
Labor Secretary Silvestre Bello III said the establishments are composed of 40 manufacturers and 90 retailers/dealers of firecrackers in the municipalities of Sta. Maria and Bocaue in Bulacan.
He noted that once the companies were found to be compliant with the requirements, the Dole office in the region will recommend and will be the basis to lift the Work Stoppage Order, which the Dole chief issued last week.
“The Dole Regional Office in Region 3 will make assessment on the compliance of these establishments. They will check the compliance of the local establishments with the safety and health standards which will serve as basis for the agency to lift or not the work stoppage order,” he said in a statement.
Aside from the Dole regional officer, recommendations from the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP) and Philippine National Police (PNP), are also needed for the lifting the stoppage order for the compliant establishment.
With this, Bello has ordered Dole Regional Offices to submit a report within the week.
Among the requirements needed to recommend the lifting of the work stoppage order are Certification from the Philippine National Police that the establishment/local government unit is compliant with the requirements provided by Republic Act 7183 or An Act Regulating The Sale, Manufacture, Distribution And Use Of Firecrackers And Other Pyrotechnic Devices; valid fire safety certification from the Bureau of Fire; one day safety awareness training for all workers; and conduct of Dole Joint Assessment.
“The order mainly mandated the stoppage of work of any unit, department or entire operation of an establishment when non-compliance with occupational safety and health standards poses imminent danger to the health and safety of the employees in the workplace,” the Dole chief said.
On November 24, Bello issued a Work Stoppage Order to all establishments engaged in the manufacture and sale of pyrotechnics and firecrackers nationwide, following the recent explosions in fireworks shops in Bulacan that killed five people and injured 30 others. (HDT/Sunnex)