Fire victims to leave CICC

THE Mandaue City Government will transfer fire victims housed at the Cebu International Convention Center (CICC) to their original location within the month.

The City will allocate P20 million for the backfilling, installation of a drainage system, riprap and development of road networks at the fire site.

Lawyer Mae Elaine Bathan, the city mayor’s chief-of-staff, said the backfilling was one of the factors that delayed the transfer of the families who have been living on the CICC grounds.

Several contractors had donated trucks of limestone to the City Government to be used as backfilling materials, after the City decided to reblock the fire site in Barangays Mantuyong and Guizo.

“However, if you look at the volume of the backfilling materials donated, that’s the one that is actually slowing down the process because we are relying on the donations from the contractors of the filling materials,” Bathan said.

There were 2,222 families from Guizo and Mantuyong who were displaced by fire last March 12.

The City Government has to backfill the 1.9-hectare lot, which was donated by the City Government to the beneficiaries.

The Housing and Urban Development Office identified 873 beneficiaries who can rebuild their houses there.

However, Bathan said that if the City Government will observe the 28 square meters for each structure, which is required by the law, only 359 can return to the fire site.

Validated

So far, 315 families were already validated.

She said the City is not closing its doors to those who can still submit the requirements needed for the validation so they can go back to the area where they used to live.

“It doesn’t mean that just because you won’t be able to return to Guizo and Mantuyong the City will no longer take care of you. What we are saying is we will find another relocation area for you,” Bathan said.

Earlier, Mandaue City Mayor Gabriel Luis Quisumbing said they might buy lots in neighboring towns since lots are scarce in the city.

Bathan said a list of properties will be submitted to the mayor and the City Council for selection and approval.

She said that after this, the City will talk with the head of the local government unit where the property is located.

The families that will be included in the list of beneficiaries will receive a monetary allocation.
style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph