CAGAYAN de Oro City Mayor Oscar Moreno is eyeing the uptown Lumbia area as the city’s new urban business district in the near term.

He said road networks connecting to Barangay Lumbia have already been developed to enhance infrastructure support for businesses.

“What we envision for the uptown area of our city is for it to be a new urban hub, where all business centers will be located, even an extension of the city hall, maybe a market for real estate,” Moreno said.

He said the uptown barangays, particularly in Barangay Lumbia, is a strategic location with its still small population and improved road networks.

Lumbia is also located on high ground, making it flood-free, he added.

Eileen San Juan, city investment and promotion officer, said the city is still planning and studying on major road expansions particularly in uptown area and help resolve vehicular traffic congestion in the city proper.

Among the road projects which are currently under construction are Opol-Canitoan Road, Canitoan-Bulua Road, Iligan-Cagayan de Oro-Bukidnon lateral Highway, Lumbia-Pagatpat Road, Macabalan-Bonbon bridge, Mapawa-FS Catanico Road, Balubal-Pueblo Road, Balulang-Macasandig bridge and Cagayan de Oro-Laguindingan Highway.

Road network expansion projects such as JR Borja Extension Road, Puerto-Claveria bypass road, Puerto-Carmen Hill Diversion Road and a road connecting villages of Dansolihon and Tignapoloan are also underway.

“The more roads we have, the more nga ma look forward nato ang development (the more we look forward to the development),” San Juan said.

Data from the City Engineer's Office showed the City Government has concreted about 66 kilometers of roads in the hinterlands.

The road concreting project is one of Moreno's priority programs to allow the free flowing delivery of goods and services to and from the city proper and the barangays.

About 60 percent of the city's road concreting project is in District 1 while the remaining 40 percent is in District 2, all of which is already complete and already used by residents.

Among the concreted roads are in barangays Lumbia, Tignapoloan, Besigan, Pagatpat, Dansolihon, Tagpangi, Pigsag-an, and Pagalungan.

The Divisoria area in this city remained as the city's business district where access to banks, financial institutions and commercial complexes, is easy.

However, in recent years, heavy vehicular traffic has become a perennial problem in the area. Flash floods in Divisoria have also been daunting the residents when heavy rain comes.