PRESIDENT Benigno Aquino III warned business establishments on Monday that they will face closure if they fail to fully comply with the fire and safety regulations.

The warning came as Aquino ordered the inspection of the 300,000 establishments in Metro Manila to make sure that they follow the laws.

"Okay ngayon, 300,000 establisyemento ang nasa National Capital Region kung saan sinusuyod na ng Bureau of Fire Protection, merong 'yung mga tine-train na mga tao ng PNP (Philippine National Police) at siyempre nakikipag-ugnayan tayo sa lahat ng local government unit para masiyasat ang bawat isa at malaman kung may peligro silang ipinapabalot sa kanilang mga manggagawa," he said in a press conference in Malacañang.

Aquino said that he ordered the inspection of all the establishments after all the 23 firms in Valenzuela City that were initially inspected after the fire in Kentex Manufacturing Corp. were found violating the Fire Code.

Of the 23 establishments, one was shut down.

"So inutos po natin last week, noong ako po ay biniriefing tungkol sa pangyayaring ito (Kentex fire), na number one, ininspeksyunin natin lahat, titingnan natin 'yung pinakaimportanteng mga kumpuning dapat nandyan tulad 'nung automatic na fire detection system at saka 'yung automatic sprinkler system dapat nandyan," Aquino said.

"Siguro dagdag na rin natin siyempre 'yung protected na fire exits nandiyan. Kapag wala itong mga ito, malamang 'yung mga iyon sarado hanggang ma-correct," he added.

While the establishments were closed temporarily, Aquino said he ordered the Department of Labor and Employment and the Department of Social Welfare and Development to assist the workers who could be affected.

The President said he ordered the inspection of the other establishments to ensure that the tragic fire in Kentex, which killed 72 people, will not happen again. (SDR/Sunnex)