THE Office of Vice President (OVP) claimed Wednesday that Malacañang revoked its invitation for Vice President Leni Robredo to attend the annual Vin d'Honneur.
OVP spokesperson Georgina Hernandez confirmed that they received the invitation last December 28, 2016 but it was retracted by a phone call from Malacañang last week, reasoning that the guest list was "limited."
"Our Office received an invitation to the Vin d’honneur via e-mail last December 28. On January 4, Malacañang called the Office to retract the invitation, stating that the guest list was limited," Hernandez said.
However, President Ernesto Abella said he was unaware that the invitation to Robredo for the President’s first Vin d’Honneur had been withdrawn.
"I don't have any confirmation regarding that...[But] it is the prerogative of the Palace to invite those who [it feels are] needed to be there," Abella told reporters.
Robredo had been at odds with President Rodrigo Duterte over several issues, such as the burial of late President Ferdinand Marcos at the Libingan ng mga Bayani and the latest one being Lenileaks, which alleges her connection to an "Oust Duterte" plot.
Robredo resigned as Housing Secretary in December when Malacañang instructed her not to attend the Cabinet meetings.
Asked if the Vice President would continue to be snubbed during Duterte's major events, Abella said, "I don't think the word is snubbed. She also has her own participations in public service. For example, today, she was in the executive office and then I think, she’s also supposed to speak to someone this evening." (Sunnex)