MURDER suspect Jayme Jayson will face trial in court for his alleged involvement in the shooting of Senior Insp. Alexander Nuñez, the chief of Catmon Police Station, on Christmas Eve last year.

Police filed the murder complaint against Jayme before the Cebu Provincial Prosecutor’s Office yesterday afternoon.

During the inquest proceedings, Jayme denied any participation in Nuñez’s death.

Wala jud koy labot sa pagpatay. Si Ricardo ang nipatay kang Nuñez. (I did not kill him. Ricardo killed Nuñez),” Jayme told reporters. Ricardo is one of Jayme’s brother.

Jayme decided not to undergo preliminary investigation, prompting Prosecutor Raymund Aller to file the murder case against him before the Regional Trial Court Branch 25 in Danao City.

Nuñez’s wife, PO3 Queen Brigitte Viernes, sobbed while watching Jayme during the proceedings.

Brigitte said Jayme is a “seasoned liar” and that his alibi is unbelievable.

Jayme, 22, of Barangay Fuente, Carmen, Cebu, surrendered to the police station in Guihulngan, Negros Oriental at 8:30 p.m. last Thursday.

The suspect said he surrendered “to cooperate with the ongoing investigation.”

He turned himself to the police 19 days after he and his four brothers allegedly ganged up and killed Nuñez.

Last Dec. 27, the police also filed a murder case against Jayme’s brother, Carlo, before the office of the provincial prosecutor.

Carlo and Jayme “mutually helped one another with intent to kill Nuñez,” the prosecutor said. Murder is a non-bailable offense.

The police attached to the complaint the affidavits executed by the officers who responded to the Dec. 24 shootout, Nuñez’s wife and that of an eyewitness.

Witness Mateo Bejoc Barro Jr. said that brothers Ricardo, Camilo, Carlo, Jayme and Carlito had a bad reputation in their barangay, especially when they got drunk.

Barro was inside his house when he heard successive gunshots around 4 p.m.