THE remaining suspect in the murder of Catmon Police Station Chief Alexander Nuñez surrendered to the police station in Guihulngan, Negros Oriental.

Jayme Cambaya Jayson turned himself in to the police at 8:30 p.m. last Thursday.

Guihulngan City Police Chief D’Artagnan Katalbas Jr. said Jayme feared for his life and decided to surrender after learning that the police have been looking for him in Cebu.

Jayme arrived in the mountain village of Calamba, Guihulngan last Dec. 25, a day after he allegedly helped his three brothers in shooting Nuñez to death in Barangay Puente, Carmen.

Jayme, Ricardo, Camilo and Carlo allegedly ganged up on Nuñez after he killed their brother, Carlito, in a shootout last month.

A witness saw Jayme, Camilo and Carlo hold Nuñez to the ground while Ricardo grabbed his pistol and shot him twice in the head at close range.

Jayme traveled to Guihulngan by boat from a wharf in Tangil, Dumanjug and stayed in the house of his brother-in-law in Calamba, which is about nine kilometers away from the national highway.

When he surrendered, the suspect was accompanied by his brother-in-law and Calamba Barangay Councilor Alfredo Jacolve.

Reward

Cebu Provincial Intelligence Branch Chief Joie Pacita Yape Jr. led his team in fetching Jayson from the police station.

Since Jayme voluntarily surrendered, the P150,000 reward will no longer be given.

The reward was put up early this month for any information on Jayme’s whereabouts, as police circulated Jayme’s photos on social media and tarpaulins in northern Cebu.

Jayme, however, denied taking part in killing Nuñez and stealing the official’s government-issued pistol.

Nuñez, 38, was laid to rest in a private cemetery in Danao City last Jan. 6.

The Cebu Provincial Police Office honored him with a 21-gun salute.

Before he was killed, Nuñez was driving to Lapu-Lapu City to join his family for their noche buena.

He stopped when he noticed a commotion caused by the Jayson brothers who were reportedly drunk at the time outside a store in Puente.

Nuñez confronted Carlito, who was reportedly armed with a revolver, after he saw the latter firing indiscriminately.

Carlito pulled out his gun and shot the official but missed.

Nuñez retaliated and shot Carlito thrice.

Police Regional Office Chief Noli Taliño said the suspects in Nuñez’s death are listed in the Barangay Anti-Drug Abuse Council as alleged drug users and at least three of them had a criminal record.

Ricardo, Jayme and Camilo had been charged with murder in 2014, but were released after the complainants repeatedly failed to show up in court.