A TOTAL of 23 dancing contingents will compete today, January 15, in the Sinulog grand parade in Cebu City.
That, as the Sinanduloy Cultural Troupe of Tangub City prepared for a grander performance because this might be the last time that they will dance for the Cebuano crowd.
Tangub City Mayor Philip Tan announced the development last Tuesday during the opening of their exhibit inside SM Seaside City Cebu, showcasing the costumes they used for Sinulog over the years.
Tan said that they had joined the Fiesta Señor as a pilgrimage but as the years went by, this became more of a party, instead of a cultural and religious activity.
The streets became too crowded and the dancers have a hard time moving because the crowd gets bigger each year, Tan said.
However, he said that Mayor Tomas Osmeña’s policies like the ban on holding street parties along the parade route might help convince them to join again.
This year’s contingents are fewer than the 32 groups that joined last year, but Sinulog Foundation Inc. (SFI) executive director Ricky Ballesteros promised a “short but sweet” grand parade.
Of the 23 contingents, 19 are from Metro Cebu while four are from out-of-town.
Last year, there were seven out-of-town contingents.
This year, only contingents from Tangub City, Sandurot Festival of Dumaguete City, Tribu Katbalaugan of Catbalogan City, Samar and the Land of Beauty and Bounty of Lanao del Norte are joining.
The street dancing will start at 9 a.m. and the ritual showdown will immediately start once the first contingent reaches the Cebu City Sports Center.
For the first time this year, the winners will be announced right after the grand finale, said Ballesteros.
A total of 43 floats, 24 higantes and 19 puppeteers will join the grand parade.