Mayor stops street parties in Juana Osmeña

Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña ordered stopped all music in three bars on Juana Osmeña St. last night. He missed out on the Sinulog awarding ceremony at the Cebu City Sports Center after receiving reports around 6 p.m. that Sinulog revelers were getting rowdy in the area. He asked marine reservist to manage the situation. “Baseline (is) looking better. Music is off. It’s mostly whistles and people chanting Pit Senyor, which is fine so long as they don’t do anything stupid,” he said in a Facebook post around 9 p.m. The mayor said violators of the street party ban will have their business permits suspended for a month. (RTF)

Transformer explosion causes panic, BLACKOUT

Participants of this year’s Sinulog grand parade had the fright of their lives after an electrical transformer on Osmeña Blvd. exploded. Liutenant Jessie Girasol of the Armed Forces of the Philippines 7 said the transformer exploded three times, causing panic among the revelers. It was caused by a balloon that got entangled with the electrical wires. Marcelina Arias, in a dyHP report, said she feared for her and her child’s life, thinking that a bomb had exploded near them. The incident resulted in a six-hour blackout starting from 11 a.m. up to 5 p.m. and affected around 50 houses in Barangays Sambag I and Sambag II.(JOB)

Unruly crowd ends PRE-Sinulog party

THE ETC Paintensity party last Saturday night was stopped due to an uncontrollable crowd. Chief Inspector Jacinto Mandal of the Mabolo Police Station clarified, though, there was no stampede but only teenagers trying to get in the venue despite protests from the organizers. There were 2,000 registered participants for the party held at The Greenery Cebu on Pope John Paul II Ave. but an estimated 700 people also tried to get in. Police received the alarm at 10:50 p.m. from event organizer Joana Olano. Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña ordered the event stopped. The party, which started at 4:30 p.m., ended around midnight.(JOB)

NTC asks telco to explain signal jam violation

The National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) 7 wants a telecommunication company to explain why some areas were not covered by their signal shut-down. NTC Engineer III Bill Peralta said they inspected the area surrounding the Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño and Gen. Maxilom Ave. and found that it still had a cellphone signal last Saturday and Sunday. “We’ll make a report and let the company explain why they didn’t comply with the order,” he said. The shutting down of cell sites during the Sinulog activities over the weekend was implemented by the NTC and police to prevent bomb attacks in the city.(JOB)

15 missing kids reunited with families

Several children who watched the Sinulog grand parade with their families yesterday went missing. Cebu City Councilor Dave Tumulak, deputy mayor for police matters, said around 15 children were separated from their parents. They were immediately reunited with their families through the help of the volunteers. Tumulak said the reduction of the Sinulog parade route this year from six to four kilometers helped in reuniting the children with their loved ones immediately. The councilor welcomed this, saying that the Sinulog organizers were aiming for zero untoward incidents in this year’s activity.(EOB)