AT LEAST 41 houses were razed early Friday morning, January 20, displacing a number of families at Purok Interior, Looban, Km. 5 in Buhangin, Davao City.
According to initial investigation of the Buhangin Police Station, the fire was reported to the Central 911 at 6:45 a.m.
Chief Inspector Milgrace Driz, station commander of the Buhangin Police Precinct along with the duty investigator, was among those who went to the area to find the fire already engulfing the neighborhood.
One of the victims, Gina Baliling, 45, said the fire broke out at the ceiling of her duplex house and quickly spread.
But another resident said it was a charger left unattended that exploded and started the fire.
"Ingon sa akong igsuon, charger wa maibot kay last siya ang nakakita ug didto pod nagsugod ang kalayo (My brother said he last saw a charger left plugged and that it was where the fire started)," said Albert who asked to conceal his surname.
Davao City Social Services and Development Office Buhangin head Norman Baloro said aside from the 41 homeowners and their families, nine renters, 16 sharers, and one boarder were affected.
"Pinapadalhan na ng City natin ng mga pagkain at mga gamit ang mga biktima at patuloy ang ginagawang assessment natin para sa financial assistance (The city is bringing food and other basic needs to the victims and the assessment for financial assistance is ongoing)," Baloro said.
Firefighters declared a fire out at around 7:30 a.m.
No casualty was reported although three residents sustained slight injuries and three vehicles were damaged.
Fire Inspector Ezequil Tabon, chief for operations of the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFP)-Davao, said that from their investigation, faulty electrical wiring is the most likely reason.
Affected individuals are temporarily evacuated at Buhangin gym. The Davao City Social Services and Development Office (CSSDO) estimated a total damage of P5,693,000. The CSSDO already extended relief assistance.
On Wednesday this week, two toddlers aged three and one year and nine months died in a fire that razed 38 houses at Purok 12-B in Dapsa, Saint John Bucana in Barangay 76-A, Davao City.
Again, BFP reminded the public to be vigilant towards electrical short circuit and constantly monitor it to avoid similar incidents which the BFP noted as the top causes of fire in the city.