Globe blocks 165M spam, scams in 2016

FOLLOWING an accelerated campaign against unwanted spam/scam messages, Globe Telecom blocked more than 165 million of such messages in 2016, aided by the use of a comprehensive and fully automated mechanism to rid its network of unwanted and unsolicited text messages.

In parallel, Globe also disconnected from the network last year around 1,700 prepaid numbers found to have been used as a source of spam/scam messages.

“Our new blocking mechanism has proven to be very effective in preventing transmittal of unwanted spam and scam messages. We are now closer, more than ever, to having a spam-free network and the combination of technology, skills, and malasakit to customers made this possible. Notwithstanding the significant progress we have achieved in our anti-spam campaign, the company remains committed in further stepping up our drive against spammers to keep our network consistently free of these annoying and unwanted messages,” said Globe chief information security officer Anton Bonifacio.

The company’s blocking mechanism, which was established in February last year, involved the establishment of a new hardware and software solution that can filter up to 1 billion SMS a day.

Following the expansion of the company’s anti-spam/scam campaign to include similar messages coming from other networks, the average number of blocked messages rose to 1.1 million/day in November.

About 75 percent of such messages originated from spammers using other networks, while the remaining 25 percent were sent through the Globe network, Bonifacio said.

He added that the mechanism now covers majority of the company’s postpaid and prepaid customers totaling 65.4 million at the end of September 2016.

To keep its customers from receiving spam and scam messages, Globe operationalized in September 2014 an automated filtering functionality that reduced the number of such messages going through the Globe network. Such mechanism has since been upgraded and expanded to effectively prevent transmittal of spam and scam messages coming from other networks. By design, the filtering mechanism can be reconfigured to address the kind of spam and scam messages that goes through the Globe network.

Aside from blocking spam and scam messages from going through the Globe network, the telecommunications provider also blocks from the Globe network prepaid numbers found to be consistent source of spam and scam text messages.

Some of these numbers were subject of complaints reported through the http://www.globe.com.ph/stopspam where customers are required to provide all the details of spam and scam messages they received on their mobile devices.

Numbers that are verified to be a constant source of spam messages are then disconnected from service.
style="display:block; text-align:center;"
data-ad-layout="in-article"
data-ad-format="fluid"
data-ad-client="ca-pub-2836569479021745"
data-ad-slot="1977900730">


VIEW COMMENTS
DISCLAIMER:

SunStar website welcomes friendly debate, but comments posted on this site do not necessarily reflect the views of the SunStar management and its affiliates. SunStar reserves the right to delete, reproduce or modify comments posted here without notice. Posts that are inappropriate will automatically be deleted.


Forum rules:

Do not use obscenity. Some words have been banned. Stick to the topic. Do not veer away from the discussion. Be coherent. Do not shout or use CAPITAL LETTERS!

sunstar.com.ph