TABUK City, Kalinga -- Some 394families of active and non-active Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW) who were affected by Typhoon Lawin in October last year received aid from the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA).
Personnel from OWWA recently distributed P3,000 worth of checks each to active OFWs and P1,500 to non-active members in the province, Conner and Kabugao in Apayao. They composed the fourth batch of recipients.
Of the 394 recipients, 136 were from Tabuk City; 60 from Pinukpuk; 163 from Conner and 35 from Kabugao.
Lourdes Escarpio of OWWA-Cordillera said more than 21,000 OFWs from Abra, Apayao and Kalinga who were severely affected during typhoon Lawin applied for aid offered by OWWA.
Kalinga has the most number of applicants of more than 10,000. About 10 percent of the total applicants were given assistance by OWWA.
OWWA is still accepting application for said aid until February 2. Applicants are advised to secure barangay certification specifying damages.
It may take some months to complete the validation and encoding of applicants. However, OWWA assured it has fund for this program for all qualified applicants. (Peter Balocnit/PIA–CAR)