THE Eastern Mindanao Command (Eastmincom) has alerted all its forces against attacks from the New People’s Army (NPA) rebels after the termination of unilateral ceasefire.

Eastmincom Chief Rey Leonardo Guerrero issued the order following the conflicting statements of NPA spokesman Jorge Madlos, alias Ka Oris, and National Democratic Front Chief Peace Negotiator Fidel Agcaoili on the termination of the ceasefire.

Madlos announced on Wednesday that the NPA, the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP), is terminating the unilateral ceasefire it declared in August last year.

He said the unilateral ceasefire ends on February 10 and the government peace panel would be given notice of the termination of the truce.

Madlos issued the statement a day after Agcaoili assured the CPP-NPA's unilateral ceasefire remains effective.

Guerrero emphasized to the Eastmincom troops to always protect the communities including all detachments and camps against enemy attacks.

“Alert the troops for possible attacks. Protect the communities from criminal acts of extortion, burning of equipment, abductions, liquidations and other forms of atrocities,” Guerrero said.

All units under Eastmincom are now on active defense posture following the order of Guerrero, according to Eastmincom Information Officer Maria Ezra Balagtey.