THE military will wage an all-out war against the New People's Army (NPA), Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana announced on Tuesday.

Lorenzana made the pronouncement following President Rodrigo Duterte's decision to scrap the peace talks with the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP) and consider NPA, its armed wing, as a terrorist group.

"It is an all-out war because they are considered by President Duterte as terrorists," Lorenzana said in a press conference.

"What is their difference to the Abu Sayyaf? No difference at all. They are there to terrorize people," he added.

The NPA has announced the impending lifting of its unilateral ceasefire with the government because of the President's failure to fulfill his promise to release a number of political prisoners.

The President, however, has maintained that he could not release all the detained rebels because he had already "given too much" and it would appear that he had already granted them amnesty.

This was followed by the Chief Executive's announcement to lift the government's truce with the communist rebels, as well as to end the peace talks.

Lorenzana said the government troops will track down the NPA and prevent them from doing lawless acts.

"We will hunt them down and we will stop them from what they are doing," the Defense Secretary said.

Lorenzana, however, clarified that the declaration of all-out war is merely against the "armed component."

"All-out war is to target the armed component, not the peaceful, loving [ones who are just] farming there. We will not coerce them. It's the armed component who continue to intimidate people, who have arms," Lorenzana said. (SunStar Philippines)