Military conduct operations vs. rebels

The Central Command is now on an offensive against the New People’s Army after President Rodrigo Duterte declared an all-out war against the rebels last week. Lt. Col. Luzmindo Mamuag said they have ongoing operations against the rebels in Capiz and Iloilo. A soldier was killed in an encounter in Capiz last Tuesday. “We are at war. The job of the military is to secure the community, protect the people and, of course, take care of our men,” he said. “As per instruction, we will hit them hard.” Mamuag said Bohol and Cebu are insurgency-free.

•••

Province to build more classrooms, laboratories

Sixty classrooms will be constructed in selected public schools in Cebu Province this year, said Provincial Board Member Christopher Baricuatro. The Local School Board (LSB) set aside P90 million for the project and almost P1.8 million for the construction of speech laboratories. Baricuatro said addressing Cebu’s lack of classrooms is the Provincial Government’s priority this year due to an increasing number of students. Aside from the additional classrooms and laboratories, the LSB will give 4,700 armchairs to the schools. Jona Godinez, USJ-R Intern

•••

City prepares for Charter Day Celebration

Cebu City Acting Mayor Edgardo Labella has been given the authority to convene the Cultural and Historical Affairs Commission (Chac) to discuss the preparation for the Charter Day anniversary on Feb. 24. The authority came from Mayor Tomas Osmeña, who is currently in Japan. Labella, head of Chac, then called for a meeting yesterday with the commissioners to deliberate on the institutions and individuals that will be awarded by the City Government. Chac’s recommendations, though, will still need the approval of the mayor.

•••

Military chopper makes emergency stop

A helicopter of the Armed Forces of the Philippines made an emergency landing in the mountain baranggay of Tolo-Tolo, Consolacion last Wednesday morning. The police office of Consolacion immediately dispatched an alert team after receiving a call from the personnel of the Central Command about the matter. PO1 Hesus Bernardo Locmayon III, said they initially had trouble searching for the helicopter. “When we arrived in the area, they (military) were checking the wires of the helicopter. We escorted them until they took off,” he said. Miguel Ermac, USJ-R Intern

•••

'Explain why you shouldn't be shut down'

Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña issued a show cause order to two establishments along Juana Osmeña St. that allegedly violated his policies during the Sinulog grand parade last month. In his letter, the mayor said the establishments did not follow the National Building Code and the City’s Revised Zoning Ordinance when they closed their parking lots. The stores allegedly put up chairs and tables in their parking area despite the warning of Osmeña not to do so. The mayor gave them five days to answer why their establishments should not be closed.