THE Davao City Health Office (CHO) said on Thursday, June 4, that the number of dengue cases from January to May 2015 dropped compared to the cases recorded from the same months in 2014.

Elizabeth B. Banzon, head of the CHO Tropical Disease Control, said the CHO recorded 1,140 dengue cases from January 1 to May 31 this year, which is 820 lesser than the previous year, where they recorded 1,960 dengue cases from January to May.

Of the 1,140 dengue cases in 2015, 427 were recorded in January, 283 in February, 178 in March, 155 in April, and 97 in May.

Banzon said a three-year-old and a nine-year-old child in Tibungco District died last month because of dengue.

According to Banzon, 10 more children in the same area have been diagnosed with dengue, adding that they found residents had several plastic containers used to collect water, a possible breeding ground for dengue-carrying mosquitoes.

Banzon said that even if the number of cases decreased, residents should still take precautions to avoid the virus.

CHO also bared in a report that the top five districts with the highest number of dengue cases are as follows: Calinan with 23.5 percent, Toril with 16.2 percent, Tugbok with 14.7 percent, Talomo South with 13.2 percent, and Buhangin with 10.3 percent.

CHO has been conducting inspection, larva surveillance, and orientation to 100 households every month to prevent an outbreak. It is also holding activities and lectures to schools to raise awareness.

"Pero mas maganda po sana kung lahat tayo ay magtutulungan sa pagsugpo laban sa dengue, lalo na ngayon buwan na tag-ulan, maraming sakit ang posibleng dumapo sa atin lalo na pag weak ang immune system natin," Banzon said. (ICT)